Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Playing with Type, Creating Alien Faces

I spent this week playing with various typefaces and trying to figure out the best way to display the word "alienation", as well as the "I exist" phrase, which I think I will continue to use across multiple designs in the future. I did like the idea of how a schwa was not only the name for an alien head but also denoted the way to pronounce certain vowel sounds, and is coincidentally actually found in the word "alienation" (/ˌeɪl yəˈneɪ ʃən). So I feel pretty confident that I would like to flip the "e" in the logo, and have played with also replacing the "o" with another schwa to give it a more creative spelling. I have examples of both up - I'd love to know which people find to be more effective/legible.  This font used here is Josephin Slab.
I then played with the idea of displaying both texts at the same time, which led to this sort of crossword puzzle type design. I'm still playing with it, since I'm not sure it's the most effective way to combine the two, but I feel they are at least easy to read both as one image and independently. I haven't decided what to do with this design yet, but thought it was interesting to look at and discuss, to see if there's a better way to display the text, or if it's even necessary to have both ideas within the same design. The thin typeface is Josephin Slab once again, and the bold font is called Righteous.


Lastly, I began to work on some variations of alien heads. I made up some quick vectored shapes, both for the heads as well as the eyes and nostrils so that I could mix and match them as I went, giving me more freedom to arrange them at will. I kept them black and white for now while I compose them, so that they don't become too complicated. I'll be working on more of these over the weekend as well, and possibly designing some symbols with personal meaning to me to incorporate with the alien heads rather than compliment them with potentially symbolic imagery that has nothing to do with my work/the alienation theme as the design from last week did. 






No comments:

Post a Comment