Thursday, November 2, 2017

emotion studies

This past week I have been interested in creating work based on emotions. I have decided to create work based on emotions, because they are one of the biggest components to art and music. Also the most common feedback about the music I write is that my work is emotional, so I have decided to dive into studies of what emotions are from looking at different philosophies of human emotions. One philosopher McVey showed me was Baruch Spinoza and the titles are based off of some of what he writes about. My imagery is based on the way to evoke these emotions with a variety of moody pieces that incorporate my recordings of people talking or singing, machines/ technology, nature, and instruments.  The first two videos are 10 second clips, the last one is a two second video of overlapping photographs as well.

Fear


Happiness


Despair

1 comment:

  1. we listened to / watched this this morning.

    my own thoughts —

    same image with different music; same music with different sound.
    and for "happiness" or "sadness" both, the same sounds and music (20 variations each)... so discovery can happen, rather than risk making "sad" music for "sad" image for "sadness."

    there seemed to be consensus about this.
    look at the Yannis Kyriakides / Spinoza piece (DVD in room, as I explained earlier), carefully.
    and his affectio.

    ReplyDelete