Saturday, September 16, 2017

Alienation (updated thesis)

For my project, I will be working to design and create a brand, called alienation, focusing on extraterrestrial and outer-space themed work. I will be developing a series of images following this theme for use on products such as posters, T-shirts, stickers, stationary, etc. I will be using limited color palettes and geometric forms to establish a cohesive body of work. The imagery, as well as brand name, revolves around the exploration of personal feelings of isolation, or "alienation", in different aspects of my life. I plan to explore this through alien and space imagery because the subject matter is intriguing to me, and I also feel like the theme will be able to reach a broader audience, as many people have similar feelings at times in their own lives, and what better way to represent that common feeling than with designs literally "from another world"? My initial goal for this semester is to create a broad and diverse range of sketches upon which I can choose the best designs from later in the year to develop into final products. I plan to also explore color palettes and recurring elements I want to include in the designs at this time. I am also in the process of exploring if I want to have more symbolic or allegorical-type imagery, or more purely design-based work.

Currently I am in the process of experimentation and creation. I am creating various pieces as different ideas come to me and feedback from the seminar group steers my work in a variety of directions. I am in the midst of working on images with a level of transience to the final line work. I was experimenting with a water-based acrylic paint spray over a water-soluble marker and ended up with a partially obscured image that intrigued the seminar group, and thus am exploring variations of that idea to potentially incorporate into my overall project. I am also working on exploring the limited color palettes that I would like to focus on over the course of the semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment